Apply now for the 2024 Season
The Ocean City Police Department is actively seeking Maryland certified police officers and out-of-state certified police officers who are willing to make a lateral change to Ocean City, Maryland.
As a Maryland certified lateral entry candidate you will attend a four (4) week orientation conducted by the Ocean City Police Department that includes firearms training/qualification, defensive tactics training, Town ordinance training, policy review, and field training.
As an out-of-state certified lateral entry candidate you will attend a 330 hour comparative compliance academy at the Eastern Shore Criminal Justice Academy (E.S.C.J.A.) in Salisbury, Maryland. After completion of this training, you will participate in a nine (9) week Field Training and Evaluation Program conducted by the Ocean City Police Department.
Lateral entry officer will be subject to the same process as other police officer applicants. Processing of the applicant will include a written examination, physical abilities test, oral interview, background investigation, physical examination, and psychological evaluation.
Salary & Benefits
$ 48,090.00 to $ 52,015.00 depending on years of experience
- Step increments with acceptable performance appraisals
- Specialty pay available
- Overtime for court appearances and special detail assignments
Paid holidays, accrued sick, annual, and compensatory leave
- All uniforms furnished. All duty gear and equipment furnished to include shoes and boots
- Eligibility for “Take Home Car Program” (SPP) after the completion of a probation period and adherence to residency requirements
- Eligibility for promotion after two (2) years of employment
- Defined Contribution Retirement Plan/Deferred Compensation Plan/Credit Union
- Paid military leave for training purposes
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance/Prescription Drug Plan
- Tuition assistance for continuing education
- Extensive in-service training and specialized career opportunities
- Four (4) day work week for patrol officer (10 hour work days)
High School Diploma or GED recognized by the Maryland Board of Education
21 years of age at the time of employment
Possession of a valid driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record
United States Citizen
Good physical and mental condition
Vision correctable to 20/20 with the ability to recognize basic colors
Candidates must successfully complete a written examination, physical abilities test, structured interview, background investigation, polygraph examination, medical examination, and psychological evaluation.